Firm and sugary RockitTM apples are perfect for roasting. They add a wonderful sweetness to our warm roasted winter salad with sweet potatoes, kale and black lentils. This healthy protein-strong salad makes a hearty main for two or a colorful starter for four.
Authors: Meg Raines & Beth Williams
Photographer: Meg Raines
Yield: 2-4 servings
1/2 cup black lentils (also called “caviar” or “beluga” lentils)
3 RockitTM apples, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 large red onion, peeled and roughly cubed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
4 cups kale, torn into small bite sized pieces
1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and peeled
Handful fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (or substitute balsamic vinegar)
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 teaspoon fresh orange zest (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F / 220°C.
2. Put lentils in a small pan and cover with three inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook until soft but not mushy, about 15-20 minutes.
3. While the lentils are cooking, toss the RockitTM apples, sweet potato and red onion in olive oil. Spread onto baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, fresh ground pepper and rosemary.
4. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, until fruit and vegetables are cooked through but still firm.
5. While the fruit and vegetables are roasting, make the vinaigrette. Place the olive oil and pomegranate molasses in a small bowl and whisk until completely combined.
6. Add the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until emulsified.
7. Rinse and drain the cooked lentils thoroughly, then place in a large bowl. Add the kale and half of the vinaigrette and mix carefully. Set aside.
8. Once the fruit and vegetables are done, add them to the lentil and kale mix.
9. Add toasted hazelnuts and parsley and mix.
10. Add vinaigrette one tablespoon at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stop, when all salad ingredients are well coasted but not soaked. You may have some vinaigrette left over.
11. Plate and serve immediately.